He was one of the most well-known and respected Welsh philanthropists and entrepreneurs of his time. Following an extensive £42M investment of the former Coal Exchange by Signature Living – RP Culley will once again return to the Exchange Hotel 127 years later where it all first began.
On Thursday 29th November 2018 Signature Living and The Exchange Hotel Cardiff, will officially launch its brand-new RP Culley & Co restaurant in tribute to Richard Palethorpe Culley and the important role that the former Coal Exchange played on the economic world stage.
Built around a theme of the “Have’s” & “Have Not’s” the restaurant pays homage to the history of the Welsh coal miners’ story and the history of the Coal Exchange, where the price of the worlds coal was set and where the first £1M cheque was signed. The “Have’s” & the “Have Not’s” illustrates the great extremes of Welsh coal mining history, the poverty contrasted against the opulence of the Exchange building where coal was traded as black gold.
Curated by renowned Welsh Head Chef Keith Clash, RP Culley & Co boasts an exciting menu of some of the finest locally sourced Welsh produce and ingredients. Wales boats some of the finest meat, fish and cheese produce in the UK much of which features on the RP Culley & Co menu.
The extensive menu will feature such mouth-watering favourites such as;
- Gavi Steamed Welsh mussels smoked garlic, chilli cream and bread
- Baked Perl wen baked sourdough plum and boss ale chutney
- Cardiff Gin and passion fruit cured salmon, pickled cucumber, crab and pea shoot salad
- Warm peppered Pant YsGawn goats cheese with beets and pomegranate dressing
- While the extensive main dishes include some of the finest meat, fish and vegetarian signature dishes
- Culleys Welsh Beef, locally farmed with extail, foie gras and beef pie, truffle mash, seared beef fillet, served with roast potatoes, spinach and jus.
- Abergavenny Lamb rack with pommes anna potato, baby veg, lamb and port jus.
- Baked Cod fillet shellfish broth and baby vegetables
- Baked Salmon with chorizo chive and butterbean stew, charred asparagus, clam and pea sauce
- In the traditional themes of luxurious desserts with a twist, RP Culley & Co desserts include;
- Traditional Welsh cheese board with port soaked grapes, celery and cheese biscuits,
- Culleys bara brith bread and butter pudding with rum soaked raisins and custard
- Lemon Fizz with eccentric young tom gin, limoncello lemon and egg whites
- Warm pear and almond tart with ginger clotted cream and pear crisps
With its own range of RP Culley & Co wines and craft beers in association with Boss Brewery, Eccentric Gins and Tanners, guests can enjoy anything from a unique cocktail to a spirit luge. Wickedly Welsh chocolate have created a unique chocolate using our very own Culley’s Smoked Ale.
The RP Culley & Co cocktail menu is designed as a timeline of mixed drinks through the ages starting with rustic communal punch, through prohibition classics, right up to modern day favourites such as the Porn Star Martini and our own modern day creation, Tempus Fugit. All garnished beautifully with seasonal twists and some of the finest regional products.
RP Culley & Co also has its own unique private dining experience called “Carruthers @ Culleys” which can cater for up to 40 guests at a time for private dining, weddings, afternoon tea and special occasions
RP Culley – Richard Palethorpe Culley – was an iconic figure in Cardiff and played an important role in the history of The Coal Exchange. Named after the man himself, it was the local philanthropist and entrepreneur who inspired our upcoming restaurant and bar. His big break came with the opening of the Cardiff Coal Exchange in 1886. Culley secured a catering contract with the Coal Exchange to work in the lavish Coal Exchange Restaurant. A combination of Culley’s charisma and experience meant he excelled at rubbing shoulders wih the establishment and building relationships. Culley wined and dined the Welsh Coal Industry’s self-made millionaires and most influential guests, elevating his profile and showcasing the best of Cardiff Bay.
RP Culleys launches at the Exchange Hotel Thursday 29th November 2018 and is open to the public from Friday 30th November